10 Reasons Why Skagway is the Best Place in Alaska
Why go anywhere else in the world when you can go to Skagway?
When you take a cruise to Southeast Alaska, it’s important to make sure that Skagway is one of your ports of call. Why? Because Skagway is the best place in Alaska. I suppose any town in Alaska could make the same claim but they would be wrong. Now, you might think I am biased because I live in Skagway so I am going to list 10 reasons to prove my assertion. Are you ready for the truth?
Alaska places runner ups
While Skagway is undeniably the best place in Alaska, these towns deserve honorable mention for being good although nowhere near as incredible as Skagway.
Sitka – I love this town. Great fishing. Nice people. Beautiful scenery. There is a lot to like about Sitka, which is why they are listed here.
Homer – Homer is very beautiful and also has some great fishing. The Salty Dog Saloon is fun too. Some of the people are a little weird but what are you gonna do?
Pelican – Pelican is a town built on pilings. It’s like something out of a storybook. Pelican also has great fishing and the best dive bar in Alaska, Rosie’s. During certain times of the year there is nothing to do or eat in Pelican so that’s a big strike against it.
Now let’s get to the reasons why Skagway is the best place in Alaska
And away we go!
1) The people – Skagway is known for its friendly people. Cruise ship passengers rate Skagway higher than any other Alaskan location when it comes to friendliness. Why are we so friendly? It’s the same reason we are so attractive – we understand what’s really important in life.
2) The authenticity – When you walk down Broadway in Skagway, it’s like stepping back in time to 1898. It’s fun to make believe it’s a long time ago and you won’t have any trouble daydreaming of days long gone as you walk down Skagway’s famous boardwalks.
3) The dramatic beauty – Alaska is beautiful but Skagway stands out because it’s located at the terminus of a fjord and surrounded by crazy-tall mountains on all sides. Indeed, there is nowhere like Skagway in the entire state of Alaska so you’re very lucky to see it with your own eyes.
4) The water – People from all over the world comment on how ridiculously good Skagway’s water tastes. Don’t believe me? Just full up a glass right out of the tap and tell me I’m lying! Oh, that’s right. You can’t.
5) Skagway is fun – Skagway’s year-round and seasonal residents know how to have a good time. We love to hike, camp, go fishing and party the night away. Why are we so fun? Because we live in Skagway!
6) Skagway has the best tours – I challenge you to find a port of call in Alaska with more diverse tours than Skagway. Not only do we have the world-famous White Pass & Yukon Route train, we also have tours to the Yukon, ziplining, dog mushing, Yukon adventures, ocean rafting, helicopter tours and much more. The only way you can do everything in Skagway is to visit 739 times, so you better get busy.
7) Great food and drink – Skagway has amazing restaurants. You can eat authentic Thai food, Alaskan seafood, barbecue, Mexican, Italian, Greek, and American pub favorites. You can also drink micro-brewed beer from TWO different breweries and wash it down with gin or vodka from our local distillery. Eat your heart out, the rest of Alaska!
8) Amazing trails right in town – There are no less than 10 trails accessible from Downtown Skagway. You can climb a mountain or take a leisurely stroll to the ocean. Just try and do that in Anchorage!
9) You’re in a National Park – That’s right. Skagway is part of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park. You didn’t even know that. Amazing.
10) The M&M Tour salespeople are in Skagway – This may be the best part of your Skagway visit. Come to the tour booth and talk to one of Skagway’s legends – the tour salespeople. We are fun, funny, nice, smart, full of life-wisdom, good singers, world-class gold panners, and quick with a joke. What more could you want out of any vacation?
Thanks for coming to Skagway
We know that Skagway will be your favorite town because Skagway is the best place in Alaska. Thanks for joining us in the Blogosphere today. See you next time.